Children’s Dentistry | Newark DE
Your child’s first dental visit to Chestnut Hill Smiles
Your child’s FIRST dental visit should happen by their FIRST birthday. The first dental visit is usually short and involves very little treatment. We may ask you to sit in the dental chair and have your child sit on your lap during the examination.
We will gently examine your child’s teeth and gums. X-rays may be taken (to reveal decay and check on the progress of your child’s permanent teeth under the gums). We may clean your child’s teeth and apply topical fluoride to help protect the teeth against decay. We will make sure your child is receiving adequate fluoride at home. Most important of all, we will review with you how to clean and care for your child’s teeth.
Need Help Maintaining A Healthy Smile For Your Child?
Baby teeth are important! They hold the place for the permanent teeth and of course aid in chewing, speech, and appearance.
“Early examination and preventive care will help protect your child’s smile now and for their lifetime.”- AAPD
What should I tell my child about the first dental visit?
We are asked this question many times. We suggest you prepare your child the same way you would before their first haircut or trip to the shoe store. Your child’s reaction to his first visit to the dentist may surprise you, in a positive way!
Here are some “First Visit” tips:
- Take your child for a “preview” of the office.
- Read books with them about going to the dentist.
- Review with them what the dentist will be doing at the time of the first visit.
- Speak positively about your own dental experiences.
During your child’s first visit the dentist will:
- Examine their mouth, teeth and gums.
- Evaluate adverse habits like thumb sucking.
- Check to see if they need fluoride.
- Teach you and your child about cleaning their teeth and gums.
- Suggest a schedule for regular dental visits.
What about preventive care?
Tooth decay and children no longer have to go hand in hand. At our office we are concerned with all aspects of preventive care. We use the latest in dental sealant technology to protect your child’s teeth. Dental sealants are are bonded to the chewing surfaces of decay-prone back teeth. This is just one of the ways we will set the foundation for your child’s lifetime of good oral health.
Tips for cavity prevention:
- Limit frequency of between meal snacking.
- Encourage brushing, flossing and rinsing.
- Limit soda and sweetened drinks, drink water.
- Avoid giving your child sticky foods.
- Make treats part of meals.
- Choose nutritious snacks.
For further information on children’s dentistry, click here, for The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry.
Ready to schedule your child’s first visit? Please call us at Chestnut Hill Smiles, LLC Phone Number 302-444-8606 today!