Denture Care & Maintenance | Newark DE
Your dentures are an investment and require care and attention to maintain their optimum performance.
Caring for your dentures:
- Only your dental professional is qualified to diagnose your oral health and adjust your denture or partial.
- Dentures should be brushed inside and outside daily with a soft, large nylon denture tooth brush with round-ended bristles.
- Use denture cleanser instead of toothpastes, which are too abrasive and will scratch your denture. Rinse with cold water.
- Dentures warp if placed in hot water.
- Have loose dentures checked immediately as they can cause friction and pressure on the gum tissues and bones, which can can cause further bone loss and poor fit.
- When not in use, cover dentures with water or a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out.
- Most dental insurance policies provide coverage for new dentures every 5 years.
- If you have complete dentures be sure to visit us once a year for an exam, oral cancer screening, and to have your dentures cleaned and evaluated. Patients with partial dentures should maintain their twice a year cleaning and exam appointments.
- Inspect your denture regularly for worn teeth. Worn and stained dentures can make you look older and cause your dentures to function poorly.